Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Work In Progress

I have started a new body of work and am attempting to document my process along the way.  If I am brave enough I may even make a little video, as well.
This painting began as a small sketch after a surprise encounter Tilly and I had with a low flying wedge tailed eagle. 


I painted the background onto heavy watercolour paper that I had prepared with layers of gesso.  I then drew the main elements in chalk pastel.  I like to work this way, when making my personal work, as it allows me to keep the drawing fresh and I can easily erase it with a damp cloth.

 Once I was satisfied with the layout I blocked in the shapes, making any changes that were necessary.


Then I added all of the details...



until it was finished.

4 comments:

  1. That's a really nice way of working... great outcome too. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you M. I just found your blog as well; I didn't know you had one!
      x t.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tracie! I just found your blog via someone else's blog. Your illustrations are so soft and beautiful! Just started following you on blogger and fb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa and thank you! I just found your blog as well; very cute :)

      Delete